REASONS TO ACT ON ROAD SAFETY
- 1. Nearly 1.3 million people are killed on the world’s roads each year.
- 2. Up to 50 million people are injured, and many remain disabled for life.
- 3. 90% of casualties from road deaths occur in developing countries.
- 4. Annual road traffic deaths are forecast to rise to 1.9 million people by 2020.
- 5. Road traffic injuries are the number one cause of death for young people worldwide.
- 6. By 2015 road traffic injuries will be the leading health burden for children over the age of five years in developing countries.
- 7. The economic cost to developing countries is at least $100 billion a year.
- 8. Road traffic injuries place an immense burden on hospitals and health systems generally.
- 9. Road crashes are preventable.
- 10. A global Action Planincludes practical measures which, if implemented, could save millions of lives.
(Read more option takes you to the UN DOA website)